The Sheraton Princess Kaiulani has established a Hotel Green Council to promote recycling and other sustainable activities.
- Earning the Energy Star label, written up in the Pacific Business News and rising to ranking 3rd among hundreds of reporting Starwood hotels.
- Accepted as a member of the "Green Business Program from the State of Hawaii - DBETD" group.
- Awarded the 2009 State of Hawaii Green Business Program Certified.
Some of our energy conservation projects include:
- Installed energy efficient equipment such as chillers, motor, lighting (CFL's, T-8's) etc
- Heat pumps to convert waste heat to make hot water
- Window tint or special glass as well as insulation to reduce heat absorption
- Energy efficient roofing, toilets, shower heads, and faucets
- Plastic, aluminum, paper, cardboard, chemical bottles, and glass containers
- Green waste bin to divert green waste from landfill
- Recycle center which collects hard to recycle items: batteries, eye glasses, cell phones, room keys, cd/dvds, floaties and beach mats
- Unclaimed lost and found clothes, blankets, duvets, and other items donated to homeless shelters
- Public area recycling bins
- Linen recycling program by our seamstresses who make items out of discarded linen: cooking mitts, discard linen bags, costumes, pillow protectors
- Turning off lights and equipment not in use
- Purchasing recycled products and local produce
- Using biodegradable soaps and cleaning supplies
- Creating more planting areas to reduce carbon footprint
- Non-chemical treatment of pool, cooling tower and well water